Episode 1.5 is about Yang Jian, Emperor Wen of Sui, or, Sui Wen-di. Emperor Wen unified China for the first time in 300 years, since the great Han Dynasty. In doing so, he helped to usher in 6 centuries of unified and ascendant China.
- The Cambridge History of China, Ed. Denis C. Twitchett
- Ann Paludan, Chronicle of Chinese Emperors
- Victor Cunrui Xiong, Historical Dictionary of Medieval China
- Charles Holcombe, Southern Integration: The Sui-Tang (581-907) Reach South
- Denis A Graff, Medieval Chinese Warfare, 300-900 AD